Saturday, April 19, 2008

Immigrants as Frankenstein

The Frankenstein's edition I have, edited by J. Paul Hunter, is divided into three volumes and every volume into several chapters. In the chapter III of the second volume, Victor Frankenstein acknowledges how the monster learned about nature, light, fire, food, etc. From the text:

"Several changes of day and night passed, and the orb of the night had greatly lessened when I began to distinguish my sensations from each other. I gradually saw plainly the clear stream that supplied me with drink, and the trees that shaded me with foliage. I was delighted when I first discovered that a pleasant sound which often saluted my ears, proceeded from the throats of the little animals who had often intercepted the light from my eyes. I began also to observe, with greater accuracy, the forms that surrounded me, and to perceive the boundaries of the radiant roof of light which canopied me. Sometimes I tried to imitate the pleasant songs of the birds, but was unable. Sometimes I wished to express my sensations in my own mode, but the uncouth and inarticulate sounds which broke from me frightened me into silence again."

In bold are the expressions that have value for me. If I look at it with my immigrant eyes, I read in it that we, the immigrants, are like Shelley's monster. We need to learn on our own how to behave in our new country. When, at the beginning of our stay in our adopted land, we try to talk, our words may apparently making no sense. Not only we need to learn a foreign language, but what to eat, how to cook, how to walk... and we may call a bird a "animal with wings" because we don't know the word "bird" yet. The list is endless. Everything is new to us: the people, the texts, the politics, the food, the roads... Only after the initial confusion vanishes, we can distinguish our sensation from each other, we can see (clearly) the stream that supplies us with water....

The whole process of learning is slow and painful. At the end, we may be different from what we were originally. In this process we may lose forever a part of our "self" .

No comments: