Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dead End: a Redundancy

Yesterday, after about twenty miles that I was riding my bike, I literally found myself in the wild. Until that moment, I didn’t realize that in Florida the sign DEAD END advises a driver that a road ends in the middle of nowhere and it doesn’t connect to any other street.

DEAD END seems a redundancy because “end” implies some death. Of course, it doesn’t imply “death” all the time, because, for instance, the end of a movie doesn’t infer the death of that movie. However, in the road’s case, the pick may be different: a road that ends is also dead because it doesn’t meet any other roads. DEAD ROAD would be enough to give the sense of the road that is not going to connect to anything.

In Italy, they use only a sign to indicate a DEAD END. To miss that may be a trouble, or perhaps one may find this (check it out!)! Lo, I found only palmetto trees and fire ants!

Look up also this DEAD ROAD. That's just hilarious. It links to what I say about "end' and "death"!

No comments: