Saturday, February 16, 2008

Writing Workshop in Rome

How splendid must be attending a creative writing workshop in Rome. One may think Venice is the most romantic city in the world. It is not. Rome is the one! This city has something special. The way people talk, the dialect they speak is vivid, soaked with life, impregnated with a magic dust that envelops the city’s thin roads, its historical monuments, its art.
Rome and its cats, yes cats! The city is famous for its stray cats. The citizens feed them, and the city sterilize– or tries to – sterilize them all. There is nothing wrong with the felines being wild. They are intelligent animals who maybe know their city more than humans do. They do not bother people. They are just there. They are a feature of Rome.
Rome with its Colosseum, its life, its streetlights that at night may dance with solitary vagrants. Oh Rome and its author, and Pier Paolo Pasolini, another writer among the roster of my favorite authors. Oh, la Roma Capoccia sung by Antonello Venditti. A shiver.
Rome is the marrow of the Italian culture, tradition, politic, art, creativity. The food that little trattorie serve is delicious. Real Italian food. What is it? Something that down here, in Florida, people do not know! Only God knows how I miss the Italian food! Only God knows how I miss my Italian lines, and my authors, my poets, my roads, my folks… myself.

1 comment:

TNLogan said...

I can't think of any place where I could be more creative. It seems like just the setting could turn even the dullest of writers into poets!